Dr. Bogdan Djakovic (Novi Sad, 1966), musicologist and choir conductor graduated from the Faculty of Music, Belgrade, Musicology Department. His research in the history of Serbian music focused on the development of the Orthodox Church Music in the 19th and 20th centuries. In 2013 he has defended his Phd thesis “The functional and stylistic-aesthetic elements in the Serbian Church Choral Music from the first half of the 20th century”. Following a number of years of choral singing in several Serbian and Yugoslav choral ensembles, he founded the church singing society “St. Stephen of Decani” and afterwards the St. George’s Cathedral choir, 1987 in Novi Sad, and currently conducting the latter. He conducts as well the Chamber Choir of the Academy of Arts, University of Novi Sad and the Kotor-Art Festival Choir (Montenegro). With this choirs Djakovic performed concerts at the Yugoslav cultural center in Paris, at the St. Ambrogio Cathedral in Milano, at the Norwich Cathedral (Great Britain), at the St. Stephan church in Padova, at the St. Augusto Cathedral in Barcelona, at the St. Alessandro church in Bergamo, at the Magdalene church in Paris, at the St. Pauli church in Hamburg, at the St. Nicolas Cathedral church in Ljubljana/Slovenia, at the St. Domingo church in Lisabon, at the State Conservatory in Thessaloniki, at the St. Sophia church in Stocholm, at the concert hall of Croatian music institution, Zagreb/Croatia, at the St. Paul’s church in Schwerin/Germany, at the St. George’s Rotonda in Thesalloniki, concert in the City Hall of Dortmund, at the Russian Church in Amsterdam.
Since 1993 he took part as a assistant-conductor of Dr. Dimitrije Stefanovic (Oxon.) the Director of the Institute of Musicology of the Serbian Academy of Scients and Arts at seventeen Summer schools of Orthodox chant (15th -19thc.) and choral music (19th-20th c.) which where organized in several towns or monasteries in Serbia and Hungary. He attented Master class of choral conducting led by prof. Uwe Gronostay and prof. Hartmut Haenchen in Harlem (2003). Since 1994 he has been assistant at the Academy of Arts in Novi Sad, Department for Musicology, and from 2002 he became professor of Choral Literature at the Department of Musical Theory. He is the regular member of the Department for theater & music art at the Matica Srpska, Novi Sad, member of the ISOCM association (The International Society of Orthodox Church Music/ http://isocm.com) in Joensuu, under the aegis of the Department of the Orthodox Theology of the Faculty of Theology at the University of Joensuu, Finland.
He has written forthy studies, newspaper critics and has produced four compact-discs with St. George’s Cathedral Choir and one DVD edition. As artistic director he organized the first Singing Week Cantat Novi Sad 2011 though Europa Cantat, and has been member of the organising team for three Hearts in Harmony festivals in Novi Sad (2011, 2012, 2013).
CD and audio-tape Russian church music in Novi Sad, St. Georges Chatedral Choir of Novi Sad – Beseda – Prometej, Novi Sad, 1997; CD Stevan St. Mokranjac (1856-1914) Liturgy of St John Chrysostom, St George’s Cathedral Choir of Novi Sad, Concert at Novi Sad Synagogue, Audio Records, Novi Sad, 2000; CD New Sound 16 (with other performers), Sokoj-Mic, Belgrade, 2000; CD Orthodox Church Music from Past and Present, The Choir of St. George’s Cathedral, Novi Sad /Recorded live during Norfolk&Norwich Festival, Merlin Audio, Norwich, The Choir of St. George’s Cathedral, Novi Sad, 2002; CD Svyati, The Choir of St. George’s Cathedral, Novi Sad, 2004; DVD 70 years of the Novi Sad Cathedral Choir, Novi Sad, 2010.